A couple of months ago I found out my 5 year old son was iron deficient. We eat a good amount of red meat, but truth be told, he would prefer to eat all veggies instead of eating meat. Since I found out I have made it my mission to get his iron levels back to normal, so he can be full of energy and the vibrant, rambunctious child he once was. Since liver has the most absorbable iron and is one of the 7 nutrient powerhouse foods I have been working on different ways to increase the amount of liver we eat. This pate recipe has proven to be the best one I have come up with.
Beef & Liver Pate
- 3 Tbsp butter or ghee, divided
- 1 pound grass fed ground beef
- 1 pound chicken liver from pastured chickens (I use chicken liver because it’s more mild, however you can use any liver)
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2-4 cloves garlic, minced (I use 4 because I really like garlic)
- 1 1/2 tsp unrefined sea salt
- 1/2 tsp white pepper
- 1/4 cup water
- In a black iron skillet put 1 Tbsp butter with the chopped onion and allow to cook down. Once the onions are no longer firm, add the minced garlic. Allow these to cook over medium heat until the onions and garlic caramelize.
- Add ground beef, 1 tsp salt, and white pepper. Stir well and allow the beef to cook thoroughly with the onion-garlic mixture. When completely browned remove it from the skillet into a bowl.
- Add the liver and 1/2 tsp salt. While stirring regularly, cook the liver until mostly browned (a little pink may be visible). Be careful not to overcook the liver.
- Add the liver to the bowl of ground beef.
- Once cooled, add the ground beef and liver into a blender or food processor and blend. Add the remaining 2 Tbsp of melted butter through the chute. You may also need to add up to 1/4 cup water to get it to your desired consistency.
- Pour into a pate dish or ramekins. This pate can be served hot or cold.
I like to serve it with toasted sourdough bread or crustinis and it has a perfect flavor, even for those who are not “liver lovers.” My son calls it Good Pate. I hope you enjoy it as much as we do.