Breakfast at our house during the week is accompanied by many other tasks as we are making a mad rush out of the door. In fact you can consider me a drill sargent barking orders to my hubs and son, “feed the dogs,” “remember to brush your teeth,” “look at the time.”
This means we have to be very strategic about what’s available for breakfast. My son usually goes for what we call BYG, banana, homemade yogurt, and heavenly granola. I like a little more variety, but it’s always something quick such as a smoothie, walnuts and a piece of fruit, or perhaps leftover soup, meat, and veggies. However, on the weekends I like to spend a little more time making breakfast and this is a perfect recipe. It is great as a luxurious weekend breakfast and freezes perfectly when cut into slices and wrapped individually (however, quite frankly, it rarely gets frozen because we eat it too fast.)
Grain-Free Breakfast Loaf
- 1/4 cup coconut flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- pinch of sea salt
- 2 Tbsp cinnamon
- 1/2 cup shredded, unsweetened coconut
- 1/2 cup walnuts, chopped
- 3-4 carrots, grated or diced (about 1 cup)
- 4 eggs (preferably free-range, organic)
- 2-3 apples, grated or diced
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup melted coconut oil, refined or unrefined
- ½ – 3/4 cup raisins
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- To prepare, shred carrots and apples first. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, pour in the dry ingredients (coconut flour, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, walnuts, and shredded coconut) and mix well.
- Place the eggs in a separate bowl and whisk to combine the yolks and whites (about 1 minute). Mix in the vanilla extract.
- Stir in the grated apples and carrots and the coconut oil.
- Mix the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and stir well. Finally, add raisins.
- Place in a loaf pan and bake for 30 minutes. Check to make sure that a toothpick inserted into muffin comes out clean.
- Remove to a cooling rack and let cool for 10 minutes before serving.