This Creamy Sweet Potato Soup is the perfect pair for a cool fall day. The unrefined coconut oil has a slight natural sweetness that compliments sweet potatoes beautifully. This soup is nutrient rich – full of beta carotene, the precursor of vitamin A. Also the parsley or cilantro (whichever you decide) are both rich in bioactives, which are nutrients needed in small amounts that can decrease inflammation.
Creamy Sweet Potato Soup
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 Tbsp unrefined coconut oil
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- 2 quarts chicken broth (see recipe)
- 3-4 sweet potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 1 cup kefir (unsweetened) or plain yogurt
- 2 Tbsp parsley or cilantro
- Add coconut oil and chopped onion to a 3 quart saucepan on medium-high heat. Saute until the onions are translucent, and then add cumin.
- Add the chicken broth and cubed sweet potatoes and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat and simmer the soup for 20-25 minutes, until the sweet potatoes are tender.
- Add kefir or plain yogurt, then using a hand blender; blend the ingredients together to make a puree.
- Add parsley or cilantro and serve hot.