During the heat of the summer bell peppers are abundant and this Fiesta Black Bean Salad is a great way to use them. This salad is great because it’s cool, colorful, full of fiber, and it will tickle your taste buds.
Fiesta Black Bean Salad
- 1 red bell pepper
- 1 yellow bell pepper
- 1 poblano pepper
- 1 small red onion, finely diced
- 3 cups black beans, cooked (equivalent to 1 1/2 cans of beans), drained
- ½ bunch cilantro leaves coarsely chopped (about ¼ cup)
- ½ cup olive oil
- ¼ cup balsamic vinegar
- 1 tsp sea salt or [Himalayan salt
- 1 tsp white pepper
- Core, seed, and dice the bell peppers and poblano pepper, cutting them about the same size as the beans.
- To make the dressing, in a large bowl whisk the olive oil, vinegar, salt, and white pepper.
- Add the diced peppers (bell + poblano), onion, black beans, and cilantro into the bowl with dressing and mix well.
- Refrigerate for 2 hours or overnight to allow the flavors to meld together.
- Cut the cherry tomatoes in half and place on top before serving.
To add a different flavor, broil the poblano pepper in the oven (or toaster oven) before dicing. Place the oven on broil and place the peppers 6-8 inches away from the broiler, turning every few minutes until slightly brown, about 12 minutes.
You can serve over a bed of spinach or lettuce for a different texture and added nutrients.