Anyone who knows me knows how much I love a good salsa. This one I have perfected over the years and make loads of it each summer when garden tomatoes and peppers are in abundance. This is a great option for getting in fermented or cultured foods by adding whey at the end.
- 8-10 Roma tomatoes, peeled and cut into cubes or chunks
- 1-2 Onions, cut into chunks
- 1-3 Jalapeno peppers, seeded
- 6-8 Garlic cloves
- ½ bunch Cilantro, fresh
- 2-3 Lemons or limes, juiced
- ½ -1 tsp cayenne pepper
- ½ tsp cumin
- 2 tsp sea salt or Himalayan salt
To Ferment (optional)
1/2 cup whey (see whey recipe)
- Add all ingredients in a blender. This may have to be done in 2-3 batches, depending on the size of your blender.
- Pulse until the vegetables are well mixed, chopped, and nearly pureed.
- Pour into a glass jar with a tight-sealing lid and store in the refrigerator.
To Ferment the salsa
- After the ingredients are well blended, poured into a jar, add 1/2 cup whey (see whey recipe) and gently mix. The content of the jar should be about 1 inch below the lid.
- Allow the salsa to sit at room temperature for 2 days before transferring to the refrigerator.