I created this recipe one day when I had lots of green leafy veggies I needed to use. At the time we had foster children living with us, and they were not inclined to eat any of my unusual foods. I threw this together in my attempt to get them to try something different. It was getting late and everyone was hungry. When it was all done and I went outside to rally them to come in to eat, the inevitable question, “what’s for dinner?” was asked. I blurted out Hulk Sauce Spaghetti. I’m not sure where that name came from but I figured if I
could link it to a superhero they would be more likely to be open-minded about it.
That night when it was all said and done, I had 4 superhero kids that were happy and enjoyed their Hulk Sauce Spaghetti – even asking for more! So I pat myself on the back and marked that as a thumbs up meal that I could create again. They (even my hubs) all enjoyed it.
- 1 bunch fresh greens (approximately 10 oz)-kale, spinach, Swiss chard or a combination of any of these
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1-2 Tbsp coconut oil butter, or other nutrient dense cooking fat
- 3-4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tsp balsamic vinegar
- 1 quart broth, chicken, divided
- 1 cup sour cream or kefir
- 1/4 cup gelatin or other ingredient to thicken (such as arrowroot)
- sea salt or Himalayan salt to taste
- In a medium size stockpot add coconut oil (or other cooking fat), onion, and garlic and allow it to cook over medium heat until the onion is soft and translucent and the garlic is aromatic.
- Add the greens and about 2 Tbsp water or broth and allow the greens to cook until they become wilted.
- Add balsamic vinegar to the greens.
- Once the greens and onions are cooked, allow to cool enough to put in a high speed blender.
- Remove 1 cup of broth and set aside.
- Add the rest of the broth into a high speed blender. Add the sour cream or kefir, and greens mixture to the blender and blend on high until the greens are evenly cut and mixed. Once blended, put the blended sauce back into the stockpot.
- Add the gelatin or other thickener to the 1 cup of broth that was set aside. Mix well assuring there are no chunks of the thickener. When ready add the gelatin mixture to the rest of the Hulk sauce.
- Salt to taste.
- Serve as a side dish over rice or pasta.