Who doesn’t love the flavors of pizza that meld together making it quite simply one of our most beloved dishes? My family loves pizza, so I was looking for a healthy, non-traditional way to incorporate the divine flavors of pizza with a veggie. This Spaghetti Squash Pizza Casserole does just that.
I frequently buy spaghetti squash and put them in the oven to steam any time I already have the oven on. It cuts the preparation time for this recipe in half. This recipe also does well if it’s prepared ahead of time and frozen in a casserole dish, making it easy to pull out of the freezer and into the oven.
Spaghetti Squash Pizza Casserole
1 spaghetti squash
1 onion, diced
1 Tbsp coconut oil, butter, or other nutrient dense cooking fat
8 oz (1/2 lb) ground beef, preferably grass fed
1½ cup pizza sauce
2 tsp garlic powder
2 tsp paprika
2 tsp parsley
2 tsp Italian seasoning
½ tsp sea salt or Himalayan salt
1 tsp white pepper
¾ cup parmesan cheese + some for topping (optional)
optional: add slivers of fresh basil on top
- Preheat oven to 400F.
- Cut spaghetti squash in half lengthwise.
- Place cut side down in a baking dish with ½” water, cover and put in oven to steam for 30 minutes or until you can poke through the squash with a fork.
- While squash is steaming, put onion and coconut oil in a sauté pan over medium heat and allow the onion to cook until translucent, about 5 minutes.
- Add ground beef and cook until the beef is no longer pink, then add pizza sauce, garlic powder, paprika, Italian parsley, Italian seasoning, salt, and pepper.
- Once squash has steamed, allow the squash to cool, then “thread” the squash into an 8×8 baking dish.
- Mix the spaghetti squash, beef mixture, and Parmesan cheese in the baking dish.
- Add the whisked eggs and mix well, the sprinkle additional parmesan cheese and basil on top.
- Place in the oven uncovered and bake for 40 minutes or until the cheese begins to bubble.
- Allow to sit for 10 minutes before digging into it.