Purple cabbage, also called red cabbage, is one of the most beautifully colored veggies. The brilliant purple color is attributed to anthocyanin, which is a flavanoid and antioxidant also found in blueberries, grapes, and eggplant. Cabbage is part of the brassica family and contain sulphur which aids in the liver’s natural detoxification processes. I like cabbage many ways, but I love this recipe for breakfast with a fried egg on top. It is one of my favorite ways to eat cabbage and my favorite way to get veggies in for breakfast.
Stir-Fried Purple Cabbage
- 1 Tbsp refined coconut oil
- 1 small onion, sliced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon ginger powder
- 1 head cabbage, shredded (can use purple or green cabbage) OR buy pre-shredded cabbage
- 2 tablespoons coconut aminos
- 1 tablespoon rice vinegar
- 2 teaspoons toasted sesame oil
- In a large saute pan over medium-high heat, add the avocado oil and heat.
- Add the onion, garlic and ginger and saute, stirring, for 1 minute.
- Add the cabbage and cook until just starting to wilt, about 2 minutes.
- Add the coconut aminos and rice vinegar and stir well and cook just until cabbage is wilted, about 3 minutes. Remove from heat and sprinkle with toasted sesame seeds.