Summer vegetables can be so plentiful and beautiful. These stuffed bell peppers are a great way to use the excess eggplant we always get from our one plant. And if you aren’t a bell pepper lover, no worries, the taste is hidden by the variety of other fabulous flavors here.
Eggplant Stuffed Bell Pepper Boats
¾-1 cup cooked brown rice
4 bell peppers (red, yellow, or green)
1 medium onion, diced
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 lb grass fed ground beef
1 Tbsp cooking fat, coconut oil, rendered lard, or butter
1 tsp Italian seasoning
1 teaspoon sea salt or Himalayan salt
Freshly ground black peppercorns
Pinch cayenne pepper
- If you haven’t already made the rice, prepare the rice following the package instructions.
- Cut the tops off of the bell peppers. Remove and discard the stem and seeds.
- Bring a pot of water to a boil and, then place bell peppers cut side up and allow to boil for 6-8 minutes and then remove from the water. Cut them into 4 pieces, or “boats.”
- While the bell peppers are boiling, place the cooking fat in a skillet, then add the onion and garlic. Allow them to cook until the onion is translucent and they are aromatic.
- Add the ground beef, Italian seasoning, black and cayenne pepper.
- While cooking, peel and dice the eggplant into dice-sized pieces and then add it to the ground beef mixture.
- When the ground beef and eggplant are cooked, stir in the rice.
- In a glass dish, place the bell pepper boats cut size up. Gently fill the boats with the ground beef, mixture.
- Sprinkle the tops generously with paprika.
- Place on middle rack and cook for 20-30 minutes and then serve warm.