Red Bean Hummus
- 2 large garlic cloves, quartered
- 2 cups (16oz) red beans, cooked
- ½ cup tahini
- ½ cup plain yogurt or kefir
- 1 Tbsp lemon juice
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- ½ tsp ground cumin
- sea salt or Himalayan salt to taste
To Prepare Red Beans from Scratch:
- Pour dried beans into a colander, picking out any beans that are shriveled or dark, and remove any rocks. Rinse the beans well to remove any dirt or dust.
- Pour the beans into a large bowl or pot and add 2 times the amount of water to the beans. The beans will soak up the water, so be sure to add plenty.
- Add a pinch of baking soda to aid in removing phytates naturally found on beans.
- Cover and allow beans to soak overnight (8-12 hours). Ideally, the water will be changed at least one time during the soaking process.
- Before cooking, drain the beans and add fresh water. You will need only about 1 inch of water above the beans if they have soaked overnight. For more flavorful beans, you will want to add onions, garlic, and salt to taste.
To Prepare Hummus:
- With motor running, drop quartered garlic cloves into bowl of food processor to chop.
- Add all remaining ingredients and process until very smooth and creamy.