Vanilla extract is a versatile ingredient used in so many different recipes. We use it regularly with a smoothie or when I make popsicles. It can be made wtih vodka or rum, however I choose vodka because it has less sugar and I like the flavor better. Since you use so little of it there is never a question of getting any alcoholic effects, however if you have any food sensitivities consider what grain is used in making the vodka. Although it’s just a tad that you would get in any food prepared with the extract it may be enough to cause your symptoms to return.
- 3-5 vanilla beans (I use organic Madagascar beans)
- 1 cup vodka
- With a sharp paring knife, cut the vanilla beans lengthwise and place into a glass jar with a tight fitting lid.
- Pour the vodka into the jar completely covering the beans, cover, and shake vigorously.
- Store in a cool, dark place and give the bottle a good shake every once in a while (once a week or so). Allow approximately 2 months before using.
- As you use it you can top off the bottle with vodka.
This will last for years if kept in a cool dark place. Just remember to shake it occasionally and before use.